This salad literally redefined how I thought about salad. Before this, with the exception of Chicken Caesar salad, salad was a starter or a side-dish. This salad is both filling and nutritious, and it’s incredibly easy to make.
Blackened Chicken Salad
A flavoursome, mixed salad topped with juicy blackened chicken.
Write a review
For the Chicken
- 2 chicken fillets
- 2 tbsp allspice
- 2 tbsp cajun mix
- 1 tbsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
For the Salad
- Spinach or a mixture of baby leaves
- Handful of cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 spring onions (chopped)
- 1 lime
- Handful of fresh mint
- Feta cheese
Prepare the dressing
- Zest and juice the lime. Chop the mint and add it to the juice. Next add a good glug of olive oil and stir or shake well to combine. This will keep in the fridge for days.
Prepare the chicken
- Either flatten the chicken fillets or cut into thin strips. Mix all the seasoning together and toss the chicken in it.
Make the salad
- Put your leaves in a large bowl and add the chopped tomatoes and spring onion. Add one third of the dressing and mix well.
- Chop the mango into chunks and scoop out the avocado. Add the fruit to the salad. Crumble the feta in on top. Add one third of the dressing and stir well.
- Fry the chicken over a medium to high heat until cooked through.
- Plate the salad and top with the warm chicken strips. Divide the remaining dressing over the chicken.
Fresh Mango or Avocado?
- The current trend in Ireland is to sell fruit to "ripen at home". Unfortunately that means you'll need to buy your mango/avocado in advance and allow it to ripen. Alternatively Lidl have a ready to eat range and you should also be able to get fresh mangos/avocados in your local fruit and veg shop.
- For an extra kick add a drop of chilli oil to the dressing and add chopped coriander. An old pesto jar or jam jar makes an ideal salad shaker; simply add the ingredients and shake to mix.
Nutty Makes http://nuttymakes.ie/